Friday 1 April 2011

01.04.11 Amira Fritz


Today I attended a lecture at my university which held great interest to me. The guest speaker Amira Fritz spoke very passionately about her work and it was nice to hear from a photographer who has not yet fully established herself as a professional commercial practitioner. 
The thing I found most intriguing about Amira was how she felt about attitudes towards the separation of art-based and commercial photography as she feels that the combination of the two genres can only be a good thing but has encountered people who want to keep the two separate. As she mentioned that in New York they considered her work too moody and art based for their commercial market, though she argues that the American photographer Ryan McGinley (previously posted) has merged the two art forms in America and has been excepted as a commercial photographer. 
 She also expressed her dislike for peoples judgement of her work, as she felt it was unfair to declare work as wrong when art is about individual tastes and what can be wrong for one person can be very right for another. I agree with Amira and feel that this negative feedback culture can only be damaging to the industry, critics should try looking at the positives and state their views and opinions as just that and not fact! 
Visually and aesthetically I find her work interesting but not always to my taste. I can really see similarities between her own work and that of McGinley’s with the mood and youthful feel to the images. I loved how she talked about how her work progressed from personal projects and grew into fashion shoots and developed into these images which she has provided her own style and stayed true too throughout her career so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment