Wednesday 10 April 2013

10.04.2013 Patricia Piccinini

It's been a while to say the least! I think with the impending doom which was the start of my major project coupled with an extended dissertation I felt I didn't have time to blog, which is silly really because I have been looking and collecting things to blog about none-the-less!

I'll blog about my latest project soon but here’s a few gems that have caught my eye recently!


"How To Tell The Future From The Past" at Haunch of Venison in New York, by Australian artist Patricia Piccinini has created a strikingly realistic animal/human hybrid sculpture which aims to explore the fears of modern society, such as beauty, aging and disease. As well as sculpture, Piccinini's work spans photography, video and drawing, presenting the "human animal" as resourceful and sophisticated but fundamentally incapable of bettering itself.

I first saw Piccinini's sculptures a few years back at the Saatchi in London and was taken aback by how life like they are! Not only are they completely realistic, as if it might walk away at any moment, but each piece has an unease about it that, when coupled with knowledge of the sculptures intent, really does make you think. That is what good art should make you do.





No comments:

Post a Comment