Wednesday 24 April 2013

24.04.13 The Beginning

Taxidermy! Road Kill! And all things Natural!

A brief introduction to the subject of my upcoming project!


Every project has its beginnings and for once this project seemed to happen quite easily. My previous project had felt like a mad dash where I’d been unable to connect properly with any of my subjects, so for this project I wanted to do a story entirely on one person’s life. I faced a big problem though, which was finding a subject interesting enough to warrant three months shooting and I was excited when I first came across Jonathan. Mr McGowan came up in a conversation I had with my sister, we quite often discuss our creative ideas and we were discussing taxidermy when she mentioned the name of a local taxidermist who was a bit of a local celebrity. Although it was not his taxidermy people knew him for, but his unusual lifestyle choices, the most bizarre of which is eating roadkill.

With all this in mind I was anxious to meet the man who lived off the land and see if his life was as shocking as it first sounded, but on meeting him I found he is a normal man with many interests which influence his way of life. With his own set of morals firmly installed in the environment and wildlife Jonathan does his best to live in harmony with nature.

The more I researched and spent time with Jonathan the more I have grown to admire his dedication to the preservation of wildlife and his ongoing quest (as it were) to educate and persuade a nation which shuns the natural from their busy, high tech lives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment